Monday, August 8, 2011

Old Door to Sweet Dreams

Today I'm sharing a project I did for my guest bedroom.  Unfortunately, I had a computer issue a while back and lost my before pictures.  I hope you can get an idea of how this bed was constructed.  I started with a $15 door from a local "junque" yard.  It was very nasty and had chipped paint so the first step was to get it cleaned up and sanded a little.  I also cut the door down to the width I wanted.
This picture shows the back of the door.  I added two 5 1/2 inch by 64 1/2 inch MDF board to each side of the back of the door.  These boards formed the legs of the headboard and the additional space I needed at the top of the headboard to add some decorative pieces.  I determined the placement of these boards by how tall I wanted the headboard to be.  I wanted to make sure that the doorknob hole would be covered by my pillows.
I'm not sure if you can see it in this picture but I added a short MDF board at the bottom of the door and attached it to the legs.  This added extra support for the door.
An 8 1/2 inch MDF board was added to the top of the door.
This shows the front of the headboard.  I glued a raised wallpaper border just above where the door came together with the top MDF board.
I wrapped the border around the ends and to the back of the door.  I added some decorative molding to the bottom and top of the wallpaper border and then attached a top piece. Since I'm not a carpentry expert my mitered corners were not perfect. Caulking and paint covers all kinds of mistakes.  I had planned to use some small crown molding at the top but my measurements didn't exactly turn out right so I left it like this.  I then primed, painted and glazed the door. Mr. Meticulous added the round felt pads on the back of the headboard to keep it from scratching the wall.  We ordered legs online from Universal Bed Legs. They attach directly to the box springs.  There are 9 legs in a set so the bed is supported very well.  I really like these legs.  They are made of heavy plastic and enable you to move the bed very easily. Mr. Meticulous added some extra support to our box springs to make it even sturdier.
This shows the finished product.  The headboard is a little wider than it should be but I based the width on the panels of the door.  I bought the quilts and rug on Ebay to complete to look.  One quilt was a "cutter" so I used that in making the pillow shams, covering a footstool and making a decorative pillow.
The embroidered pillow cases also came from an Ebay purchase.  The decorative pillow was made from a vintage dresser scarf. This room makes me very happy.  I will share more projects from this room at a later time. Thanks for checking in.








4 comments:

Lollie said...

I love the headboard and the room is beautiful.

Patsy said...

miggie, you are a busy girl !! the wallpaper border is called anaglypta. i had not remembered that you used it. it is made specifically to be painted - also available in wallcovering and many different patterns. the headboard still looks great.

Susan Gizinski said...

Actually, this was not anaglypta. It was a colored border that was not necessarily meant to be painted. Anaglypta was not available the day I was shopping. It would have been better because it is thicker than this border was.

Carrie @ Hazardous Design said...

This is absolutely gorgeous. Looks like it belongs in a pricey bed and breakfast :)