Thursday, June 30, 2011

Aged Bronze Bunny

I had this china bunny that was painted to look like terracotta. As you can see in the picture, the terracotta finish was beginning to rub off.  I decided to give it an aged bronze finish.  Here are the steps that I took.

First I painted the bunny a bronze color.



I used Modern Masters paint called Statuary Bronze.  You can get it at Benjamin Moore in 6 oz. containers.



 
Once the bronze was dry I painted it with black paint that I thinned a little with water.  While it was still wet I rubbed off the black, leaving some in the cracks and crevices.



  It may be hard to see the results but this defines the texture and tones down the shine a little.


The next step is to paint the bunny with a light green color.  This color is called Sage Green but it was just what I had on hand.  I watered this down a little too.  I did this in sections but if the piece is small you could probably do the whole bunny at once.



Take a damp terry washcloth or old towel and rub off some of the green. 



This is the end result.



 Here he is in his new home.  It is a container with moss, an interesting stick, a rock and a little fern that I dug out of our woods.  I got the idea for the planting from my sister Carolyn.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOVE your new blog!
anne

Shelly said...

i really like the first bronze color too...look susan, you have followers