Sunday, June 26, 2011

Growing Box Progress

My boxes were planted about May 12.  Since we have frost very late here, the locals recommend that you wait until after Mother's Day to plant.
As you can see, things are progressing very nicely.  I made one mistake but it wasn't too hard to correct.  My squash plants got so big that their leaves were shading the spinach.  This picture is before the boxes were rearranged.  The cucumber plant on the right is 4 times bigger than the ones I planted in the ground.
I have already picked enough squash for dinner.  These are some smaller ones that I'll pick another day.
Now the boxes have been rearranged so the spinach can see the light of day.  I put rabbit/deer repellent out to keep the critters away.  So far, so good!

2 comments:

Patsy said...

Wow, Susan. So far you are the veggie farming star in the family ! Did you consider putting any boxes on your deck, thereby eliminating the "critter" issue?

Susan Gizinski said...

I had the 2 small ones on the deck last year. These take up too much space. I haven't had a problem so far. I thought that the lettuce in the ground would be the first to go but the repellent seems to be working on that too.